Clothes just seem so pointless. It's to cover our nakedness right? Or is that being a bit minimalist? I am a university student, which is another way for saying that I am poor, and I was walking around the other day and it occurred to me how absurd my situation was. I was wearing roughly $200 of clothes (including shoes) and only had about $27 in my bank account, isn't that ridiculous? I actually think what I was wearing was (relatively) quite modest too. So why do we parade around acting like something that we are not? Why do girls wear $500 shoes when they earn $500 a week? I mean there are obvious answers; to impress, to attract, because of low self esteem, they like feeling pretty, whatever. It could also be that our society has created this expectation. If you don't dress like a superstar then you are not feminine.
Most people in my country are in huge debt, on the outside they appear wealthy, with nice clothes, nice cars, nice houses (with pools), shinning teeth, but, in reality they are paupers. They don't think they are paupers, after all they have all this nice stuff, but really they are in slavery to the dollar. I am too. I don't know how to live or have fun without spending money. I need to eat out, I need to go see movies, buy video games, snort the occasional line of coke (kidding). What else can I do to make myself feel happy? These things are transient though and obviously don't give me real happiness either...
Is it a revolutionary idea to say "Ok, I only earn $500 dollars a week, I am not going to dress like I earn $2000 even though everyone else does and an expectation exists that if I am going to find a girlfriend/boyfriend that I have to look like a rockstar." ? Honestly, if someone is going to judge me on the clothes I am wearing as opposed to my character I want nothing to do with them. By all means judge me on my appearance though! If I am obese or dirty I think you have a right to. If you don't care about health or hygiene that is gross.
Well, I can't stop buying clothes though... and I don't want to look like a bum, but I refuse to spend all my money on crap, I have dreams that I want to achieve and money will help me get there...Well then I guess it's just a matter of priorities.
Wednesday, July 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment